For many travelers, the desire for a slimmer, thinner, power-efficient laptop is key. The evolution of laptops and the desire to have the best travel laptop is a major requirement when you are traveling.
Over the years, these demands have been met by perfect expression of new designs –the ultra-portables which are less than three pounds. They have 14 inches screen and use high-end and powerful processor than the Intel Atom.
Still, there are times that a laptop comes in handy when you are creating content. Such tasks are much easier on a laptop.
This review touches on our picks with excellent models which have a longer battery life, the latest processor and are the best laptops for travel.
How To Choose The Best Travel Laptop
There are a number of factors to consider when purchasing the best laptop for travel. Having the best laptop for travel thanks to modern advancement is essential. Majority of the laptops are lighter and thinner and are easily portable.
Below are the factors to look for when you are selecting the best travel laptop.
The best laptop for travel requires a more Ram. The more RAM your laptop has access to the faster it is. If you don’t have sufficient RAM, the laptop damaging your productivity.
You need to have a laptop that will give you operates as if you are in an office. Enough RAM supports your system software.
2- Battery Life
Battery life is one of the major factors to consider when purchasing the best laptop for travel. Having the best battery means that you will use your laptop continuously without having to charge it.
You could be moving around many places as you travel and you fail to get ample time to charge your laptop. A good battery is essential to cater for all the needs and tasks that you need to perform with your laptop. Find a laptop that on a single charge will last more than five hours.
The weight of a laptop is very critical when traveling. You are traveling and therefore you are constantly moving around. Avoid a laptop that is too heavy as it will limit your mobility.
4- Hard Drive (SSD or HDD)
The hard drive is the storage capacity of a laptop. Majority of the laptops are installed with SSD hard drive which is 100 times faster than the standard HDD.
You can install both hard drives on your laptop. The HDD can be used to store files and the SSD to load all the programs.
The best laptop for travel requires enough capacity to store all that you need. Go for an SSD with 250 GB for storage and an HDD of 500 GB of storage.
When you are traveling you need a laptop that is fast to run programs effectively and fast. The laptop will function faster if the processor is fast.
Here examples of common Intel processors:
- High-End Processor: i7- 4900MQ, i7-6820HK
- Upper Mid-Range Processor: i5-7200U, i5-7300HQ, i7-7700HQ
- Lower Mid To Range Processor: i7-6200U, i7-7500U, i5-6300HQ
- Lower End Processor: i3-7100U,i5-5200U,i5-6200U,i5-7200U
There is no doubt that when you are traveling you require a laptop that is easy to carry along. Go for a laptop that is portable and light weighted. A typical laptop weighs between 4.5 to 8 pounds.
Our Choices For The Best Travel Laptop
ASUS ZenBook UX330UA-AH54 13.3-inch LCD Ultra-Slim Laptop: High battery life lasts up to 12 hours from a single charge. The screen size is 13.3 inches and the resolution is 1920*1080 pixels.
Dell XPS 9350-1340SLV 13.3 Inch Laptop: It is hands-down and one of the best in the market. It is beautiful, lightweight and slim.
Acer Chromebook R 13 Convertible: It also comes with a graphics coprocessor Imagination Power VR GX 6250. It IS Light and slim and weighs 3.3 pounds.
Microsoft Surface Pro 4: It comes with 12.3 Pixel-Sense Screen. It has an extremely high contrast and low glare and you are able to work with it outdoors without any strain. It has an Intel Core i5 6th Gen.
Apple MNYL2LL/A 12″ MacBook: It is light and weighs 3.4 pounds making it easy to carry around as you travel. It has a flash memory size of 512. The graphics coprocessor are integrated – graphics.
Best Travel Laptop Review in 2018
Asus ZenBook is the Amazons highly recommended best travel laptop. It comes with an operating system of windows 10.The hard drive is 250 GB Solid state Drive. It weighs 2.6 pounds and it is ideal for traveling.
The Asus ZenBook has a flash memory size of 256GB. It has a high processor with 2.5GHz Core i5 7200U. The laptop has anti-glare panes that allow you to use it outdoors.
- 8 GB LPDDR3 RAM
- 13.3 Inch Full HD Screen ( 1920*1080 pixels)
- Machine Aluminum Display Back and Base in Silver, Windows 10 Home 64-Bit.
- Intel Core i5-6200u 2.5GHz Processor and Intel HD Graphics 520
- Average Battery Life is 18 hours.
- Weighs 2.8 pounds.
- Lightweight and beautifully designed.
- The type C Port can be used to charge.
- Comes with a micro HDMI Port and can connect to a large display.
- The laptop supports multiple displays using an HDMI cable.
- The keyboard is illuminated and comes with blue tooth connectivity.
- It is not suitable for editing and using Adobe as the performance may be affected.
- The memory is not expandable and does not allow for an upgrade of SSD.
- It is not touch screen and does not allow a wireless mouse
- Does not support Qi charging an external graphics card.
Dell XPS 9350-1304SLV 1303 Inch Laptop is one of the best travel laptop
It has a large capacity of 8GB RAM. Comes with a window 10 and has a machined aluminum display back and base in silver. The screen is wide at 13.3 inch Full HD Screen. The display is LED-lit and its hard drive is 128 GB.
It comes equipped with an HD Graphics Coprocessor 5500. The average battery life is 18 hours.
- Fast storage and memory featuring 256GB SSD with 8GB DDR3 RAM.
- Built-in fingerprint reader with one touch login via Windows Hello feature.
- Sleek and light weight, extensive connectivity with HDMI/D/USB Type c, 802.11 a/c WIFI and SD reader.
- It is fast and reliable with a capacity of 128GB SSD.
- The battery life is superior and long lasting and comes with a premier back pack and premier sleeve for easy portability.
- Has a great outlook and a portable ultra-look and excellent in terms of quality and performance.
- The 13.3 screen size is a perfect size when it comes to portability.
- The screen freezes and a gray block appears and you cannot refresh.
- The screen glitches a common problem with devices that are installed with windows 10
- It is not a touchscreen
- Fails to read SSD sometimes on startups.
The Acer Chrome Book R13 convertible is a sleek and beautiful travel laptop. It comes with 32GB internal memory. The screen is LED-backlit Display and a multi-touch screen.
With up to 12 hours of battery life, you will none issues with charging when traveling. It has a high-end processor of 2.1GHz Media Tek- MT8 127. It is powerful and very fast and it runs your programs effectively.
- 13.3 Full HD Wide Screen LED-backlit Display, Multi-touch screen.
- Up to 12 hours Battery Life.
- Google Chrome Operating System.
- Media-Tek MT8173C Core Pilot Quad-Core ARM Processor.
- Hard drive 32GB Flash Memory Solid State Drive.
- The Acer Chrome Book is touch screen and works with any capacitive stylus.
- Comes with an SD memory card slot.
- The charger supports dual voltage of 100-240 voltage.
- It has a USB port and works well with a printer.
- The keyboard and Track-pad are automatically disabled when folded to avoid accidental input.
- The keyboard is not backlit.
- Cannot play DVD and CDS.
- Does not support the Microsoft Office since it has the Chrome Operating system.
- It does not support display link and has difficulty in mounting the 64 GB micro-disk.
Microsoft Surface Pro 4 is ideal for traveling and comes in silver color. It powers through everything you need to do. It is sleek and light and highly recommended as the best travel laptop.
The average battery life is 9 hours and you are able to work without worrying about charging. It weighs 1.7 pounds making best for traveling. The power source is the AC and battery. It also comes with an operating system of windows10 pro.
Comes with 4 GB RAM memory giving you the advantage of storage space for more programs and photos. It has a rear webcam 8MP. The hard drive is 128GB SSD for storage purposes. The power source is AC and Battery.
- The screen is 12.3 PixelSense with extremely high contrast and low glare which do not strain your eyes.
- The keyboard is not included and it is purchased separately.
- 1.7 pounds in weight and powers through everything you need to do.
- The processor is 3 GHz Intel Core i5 (Skylake).
- Operating System is Windows 10 Pro.
- It is fast and starts up instantly.
- A perfect merge of the PC and the Tablet.
- Fantastic in usability and quality.
- Gets hot with minimal operations
- The fan is noisy and the screen is unresponsive most of the times.
- The keyboard is not included and is bought separately.
The Apple MNYL2LL/A 12’’ Mac Book is slim and beautiful with a gold color and a good choice for laptop travel. It comes with an i5 Dual Core processor. The keyboard has second-generation butterfly mechanism.
The screen is 12 inches with a max resolution and the hard drive is 512 GB Flash Memory Solid State that allows you to have large storage. It has only one 3.0 USB ports.
- 1.3 GHz dual-core Intel i5 Processor with turbo boost up to 3.2 GHz
- 8 GB 1866 MHz LPDDR3 Memory.
- 512 GB SSD storage.
- Keyboard with second-generation butterfly mechanism.
- Intel HD Graphics 615
- Screen size is 12 inches with 2304*1440 pixels.
- The Mac book is amazing and runs quickly.
- Beautifully designed and light.
- It is hard to use with windows laptops.
Our Final Conclusion
If you are looking for the best travel laptop, the list above provides the latest versions. They are beautiful, easy to use and are lightweight.
However, to make your purchase easier when you are buying your next travel laptop, we have selected the best travel laptops with a cutting-edge productivity feature and more user-friendly.
Having the best travel laptop that suits your needs is essential. Thanks to modern advancement the laptops are lighter and thinner than before. We have taken into consideration key factors like battery life, power and value for money.
The most ideal of the laptops that we have selected for a traveler is the ASUS Zen Book UX330UA-AH54, 13.3-Inch LCD Ultra-Slim Laptop. It is light and supports multiple displays allowing you to perform many tasks at a go.
This means that you will no longer sacrifice portability and power. All the laptops that we have outlined have a long battery life of more than 9 hours.