Best Laptop For Computer Science
"Interest in computer science has exploded over the last couple of years. With large technology companies looking to hire more and more talent, it’s no wonder that students are flocking to study it. Not only do these tech companies command prestige, but the lucky people that can land a job will be rewarded with a comfortable work environment and high pay. But looking for the best laptop for computer science can be tricky if you don’t know what you’re doing. That’s why we created this post. We’re going to help you find the best computer science laptop and why it’s important to do so."
What Do Computer Science Students Look For When Buying A Laptop?
There are a number of things to look for when you’re looking to buy the best computer science laptop.
Below is a list of things you should look out for when you’re trying to find the best computer science laptop:
The better the processor, the faster the computer will run. For a computer science student, you want a powerful processor so that you can run your programs quickly and efficiently. Below is a small list of common Intel processors:
- Lower-End Processors: i3-7100U, i5-5200U, i5-6200U, i5-7200U
- Lower To Mid-Range Processors: i7-6200U, i7-7500U, i5-6300HQ
- Upper Mid-Range Processors: i5-7200U, i5-7300HQ, i7-7700HQ
- High-End Processors: i7-4900MQ, i7-6820HK
Best Option For You: Pick a computer processor from the lower-end to mid-range. It’ll be fast but not powerful enough to drain your battery.
The more RAM you have, the more programs you can have open at once. As a student looking for the best laptop for computer science, go for 8 – 12 GB and up to 16 GB if you’re a heavy user.
Best Option For You: Aim for the standard 8 – 12 GB. If you need more, 16 GB is good too.
Hard Drive (HDD or SSD)
SSD hard drives are much faster than the old HDD hard drives. You can have both types installed on your computer; using an SSD for loading all your programs and an HDD for file storage. At the minimum, make sure you have about 250 GB of storage on an SSD and 500 GB of storage on a HDD.
Best Option For You: 250 GB for SSD and 500 GB for HDD.
Operating System (OS) Compatibility
The most common operating systems are Windows and MacOs for Apple users. You’ll have the option to install other operating systems or perform a dual-boot setup. The OS compatibility isn’t too much of an issue.
Best Option For You: Any operating system will be fine.
Battery life is incredibly important when trying to find the best laptop for computer science. Having a long battery life will make sure that you get the most out of your computer without having to charge it. This is useful if you’re always moving around between classes since an outlet isn’t always available. Find a computer with at least 5 hours of battery life on a single charge.
Best Option For You: 5+ hours on a single charge is good.
Computer weight is very important. You’ll be moving around a lot as a student so something lightweight will make it easier for you when you travel around campus. Aim for a computer that’s under 4 pounds.
Best Option For You: Go for a computer that’s under 4 pounds.
The graphics card isn’t too much of a concern. The better the graphics card, the better your computer graphics will be. Typically, this will be more important if you’re a gamer that wants to play high-end games. As a computer science student, you don’t need to pay too much attention to this detail.
Best Option For You: Any graphics card will be fine.
... And Here Are Our Answers For The Best Computer Science Laptop
We’ve put together a list of the best laptops for computer science. This list came from experience and student needs, while keeping price in mind.
Apple Macbook is the best laptop for computer science, hands down. It’s the most used laptop by computer science students. It’s powerful, stunning, and works really well with any computer language. This is highly recommended.
The Dell Inspiron 15 7000 is a beautiful computer from top to bottom. It comes with the 7th generation intel core processor i7-7500U and is convertible with its flip-and-fold design for maximum versatility. It also comes equipped with a 720p HD webcam and 2 microphones for all those remote group assignments.
The 2016 Lenovo Thinkpad P50 15.6-inch Workstation Laptop is a powerhouse. It comes with a high-end processor i&-6700HQ, making this great for programming and gaming too. With 16 GB DDR4 memory and a 512 GB SSD hard drive, you’ll have no issues running many programs and storing your files.
The ASUS F556UA-AB54 is great for the student that is on a budget. Its 15.6” screen gives you the best viewing experience without the heavy weight of a larger laptop. It comes with a 256 GB SSD hard drive with an i5 processor for both large storage room and speed.
Considered to be the editor’s choice, the ASUS Premium 15.6 Inch Full HD laptop is a student favorite. It’s lightweight, fast, and does many common student tasks extremely well. It operates on Windows 10 and comes with a 2-cell polymer battery pack the gives you that extra battery juice.
Best Laptop For Computer Science Reviews in 2018
Macbooks have taken over the classroom. They are the most widely used laptop because it’s great for coding. Below is a summary of some of the highlights of the Apple Macbook Pro:
Processor: The Apple Macbook Pro comes with a 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 processor, making this laptop incredibly fast. You’ll be able to code and run your programs with no lag whatsoever and do so much more. You can also play high definition videos and run some games too.
RAM: With 16 GB of ram, you’ll have no issues running multiple programs at once. You’ll be able to code, do your homework, and even watch some videos on the side. This is also high quality memory too so even if you have many programs up, they’ll function really quickly.
SSD: This comes with 256 GB of storage space on an SSD drive. You’ll be able to boot up your programs in just a few seconds. The best thing about an SSD drive is computer start up time. Shut down your computer and watch it load within a few seconds.
- Processor: 2.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7. Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz
- RAM: 16GB 1600MHz memory
- Storage: 256GB PCIe-based flash storage
- Graphic: Intel Iris Pro Graphics
- Battery Life: Up to 9 hours of wireless web or iTunes movie playback
- Network Connection: 802.11ac Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0
- Connections: HDMI and USB 3 ports
- Multimedia: Dual mics and stereo speakers
- Powerful laptop
- Lots of storage space
- Beautifully designed and lightweight
- Great for coding and watching videos online
- Very expensive
- Has some heating issues
- Can be hard to use if used to Windows laptops
The Dell Inspiron 15 7000 is a great computer if you’re looking to interact a lot with your peers. It has an amazing touch screen monitor that is very useful for presentations and bouncing ideas off your friends. See below for a list of the best features:
Convertible Laptop: The Dell Inspiron 15 7000 can function as a computer or turn into a tablet due to its touch screen. You’ll be able to show your friends all the small details when used as a tablet but also use it as a computer for when you need to program.
Processor: The Dell Inspiron 15 7000 is built with an i7-7500U processor, making this one of the fastest Ultrabook laptops in the market. This is very useful for a computer science student because the computer is both lightweight and powerful.
SSD: The Dell Inspiron 15 7000 is packed with 512 GB of storage space on a SSD hard drive. Boot up your computer and programs in seconds to save that precious time. Combined with its other powerful parts, this makes the Dell Inspiron 15 7000 a fantastic computer.
- Processor: 7th generation Intel Core i7-7500U processor (2 cores, 4 threads), 2.7GHz (4M Cache, up to 3.5GHz)
- RAM: 12GB DDR4 Memory, 2133 MHz
- Storage: 512GB SSD
- Screen: 15.6 inch 1920 x 1080 (FHD) LED Backlit Touchscreen;
- Graphic: Intel HD Graphics 620 with shared graphics memory
- Open Mode: Convertible 2-in-1 portable flip-and-fold design offers four modes: tent, stand, laptop and tablet mode
- Audio: MaxxAudio Pro
- Backlit keyboard
- Battery Life: up to 6 hours
- Tons of storage space
- Powerful processor
- 2 in 1 capabilities as both a tablet and computer
- Pricier than its competitors
- Customer service isn’t great
- Graphics card isn’t as good
Calling the 2016 Lenovo Thinkpad P50 great is an understatement. The 2016 Lenovo Thinkpad P50 is one of the most powerful laptops in the market and is great for any computer science student. Take a look at the list below for some of its most important features:
Processor: The 2016 Lenovo Thinkpad P50 comes with an i7-6700HQ processor, making it as good as desktop computers. This is really good for those students that want to do more than just code. If you want to play games or stream HD videos, you won’t have any issues.
Fingerprint Reader: The 2016 Lenovo Thinkpad P50 is one of the only few laptops that exist today with a fingerprint reader. Easily log into your laptop and protect it with your fingerprint reader to prevent unauthorized access.
Computer Ports: The 2016 Lenovo Thinkpad P50 comes with 4 USB 3.0 ports, 2 Thunderbolt 3 ports, HDMI, and more. On top of being a powerful laptop, it also has all the necessary ports for your other devices.
- OS: Latest 2016 Version Lenovo Flagship Mobil Workstation, with Windows 7 Professional: legendary usability and uncompromising performance. (free upgrade to Windows 10 Professional at your choice)
- Processor: 6th Gen Intel Core i7-6700HQ Processor (6M Cache, Up to 3.50 GHz)
- RAM: 16GB DDR4 memory
- Storage: 512GB Premium SSD storage
- Graphics: NVIDIA Quadro M1000M 2GB Professional Graphics
- Premium 15.6" FHD (1920x1080) IPS Anti-Glary Display |
- Webcam: Integrated (720p HD) webcam
- Keyboard: Full Size Backlit Keyboard with Number Pads
- Network Connection: Intel 8260 AC 2x2 Premium Dual Band WiFi, Integrated Bluetooth 4.1
- Audio: Dolby Home Theatre audio enhancement ; stereo speakers
- Security: Fingerprint Reader
- High performance laptop
- Increased security with fingerprint reader
- 16 GB of RAM
- Can play games and stream HD video
- Slightly heavy
- More expensive than other laptops
- Operating System not up to date
The ASUS F556UA-AB54 NB is one of the most affordable laptop computers for computer science students. It’s powerful, compact, lightweight, and performs equally well with better laptops. Below is a summary of its most important features:
Quick And Deadly: The ASUS F556UA-AB54 NB comes with 256 GB of SSD an 8 GB of high quality DDR4 RAM. Whether you’re waiting to load your computer or itching to multitask with entertainment and your homework side by side, the ASUS F556UA-AB54 NB has no lag issues.
Beautiful Design: The ASUS F556UA-AB54 NB is newly designed to be a slimmer laptop with amazing portability. It’s a computer that will not only catch the eyes of others, but also make it easy for you to move around.
Bluelight Filter: The ASUS F556UA-AB54 NB comes with an Eye Car mode that reduces the amount of blue light coming out of your computer by up to 33%. Blue light is the main cause for eye strain and eye issues, so you can rest assured knowing that spending a lot of time on your computer won’t be too harmful for your vision
- Screen: Powerful 15.6” Full HD laptop with latest 7th-generation Intel Core i5 processor 2.5 GHz
- Design: Thin and light design for superior portability weighing only 5.1 lbs and 1” thin profile
- Storage: 256GB SSD
- RAM: 8GB DDR4 RAM
- Connectivity: Extensive connectivity with HDMI/D-SUB/USB Type C, 802.11a/c WiFi, and SD Card Reader
- Battery Life: Long-lasting 38 Whr polymer battery 2.5 times the lifespan of standard Li-ion
- Great laptop for eye strain issues
- State of the art cooling system keeps temperatures low
- Great warranty
- Lightweight, affordable, and powerful
- DDR3 RAM isn’t as fast as other competitors’ RAM
- Does not come with Microsoft Office installed
- Not a good choice for gamers
Asus has been a rising computer company in the last couple of years. The ASUS Premium 15.6 Inch Full HD has been the editor’s choice for many years, and for good reasons. The following is a short list of its best features:
Beautiful Visuals: While many computers in the market come with the standard Intel graphics card, the ASUS Premium 15.6 Inch Full HD comes with a dedicated graphics NVIDIA GeForce 940MX 2 GB. This is great for anyone that wants the HD viewing experience for either games or movies.
Processor: The ASUS Premium 15.6 Inch Full HD is equipped with an Intel i7-7500U processor. This is one of the best computer processors in the market, making the ASUS Premium 15.6 Inch Full HD energy efficient and powerful at the same time.
SSD: With 512 GB of storage space on an SSD drive, you’ll have no issues quickly booting up your programs and running code. Lag is not an issue with the ASUS Premium 15.6 Inch Full HD.
- Screen: 15.6 " Full HD (1920 x 1080) Display, LED backlight,
- Graphics: Dedicated graphics NVIDIA GeForce 940MX 2GB
- Processor: 7th Gen Intel Core i7-7500U Dual-Core mobile processor, 2.7 GHz (4M Cache Turo boost to 3.5GHz),
- RAM: 8GB DDR4 RAM,
- Storage: 512Gb SSD,
- Optical Drive: SuperMulti DVD/CD burner,
- Connectivity: 1X USB 3.1 Type-C, 1 x USB 3.0, 1 x USB 2.0, 1 x HDMI, 1X VGA, 1 x Headphone output/Microphone input combo, 10/100 Ethernet
- Network Connectivity: 802.11ac Wireless LAN, Bluetooth 4.0,
- Multimedia: Media Card Reader, Built-in microphone, Sonic Master Built-in speaker, Chiclet Keyboard, VGA web camera
- OS: Windows 10 64 bit home, 2-cell Li-ion Polymer Battery Pack
- Long-lasting battery
- Quick and powerful hard drive with lots of storage space
- Built-in camera and microphone
- Great value for the price paid
- Overheating can be an issue
- Only comes with 3 USB ports
- A little heavier than other laptops
Our Final Conclusion
We’ve looked at 5 excellent computer laptops for all different types of users. Out of all the computers we reviewed, the best laptop for computer science definitely goes to the Macbook Pro. It is one of the easiest and most powerful computers to use as a computer science student. It’s stunning, versatile, and overall a no-regret purchase. We highly recommend the Apple Macbook Pro MJLQ2LL/A 15-Inch Laptop.