For a creative artist the laptop is your office, this is where all your ideas are conceptualized. In this case finding the best laptop for artist is important especially if you offer a wide range of services. Different laptops function differently and you need to find the right specifications as well as configurations that meet your need.
If you are a creative artist who is always on the move you need a laptop with all specifications in check, but still easy to carry. In this article we delve into some of the different type of laptops fit for artists. It covers the specific features you should not ignore as you shop for your next new work space.
- 1 How To Choose The Best Laptop For Artists?
- 2 … And Here Are The Best Laptop For Artists That We’ve Found
- 3 Best Laptop For Artists Review in 2019
- 3.1 LAPTOP 1: Microsoft Surface Pro (Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB) – Newest Version
- 3.2 LAPTOP 2: Apple 15″ MacBook Pro, Retina, Touch Bar, 2.8GHz Intel Core i7 Quad Core, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Space Gray, MPTR2LL/A (Newest Version)
- 3.3 LAPTOP 3: Lenovo Yoga 2-in-1 15.6″ 4K UHD IPS Touch-Screen Laptop, Intel Core i7-7500U, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce 940MX, Fingerprint Reader, Backlit Keyboard, HDMI, Bluetooth, 802.11ac-Win10
- 3.4 LAPTOP 4: Lenovo Flex 4 – 2-in-1 Laptop/Tablet 15.6″ Full HD Touchscreen Display (Intel Core i7-7500U, 8GB, 256GB SSD, AMD Radeon R7 M460, Windows 10), Black 80VE000MUS
- 3.5 LAPTOP 5: Microsoft Surface Book 512GB with Performance Base (13.5 Inch Touchscreen, 2.6GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM) Version
- 4 Our Final Conclusion
How To Choose The Best Laptop For Artists?
The operating system is an important asset and you need to find out if the software is supported on windows or Mac. The reason why this is so important is because if you are looking for the best laptop for drawing as not all applications are cross platform.
The good news is that most adobes graphic applications are well supported on both windows and Mac.
The processor is part and parcel of the operating system you need either duo or quad core processors. As a creative artist the quad core processor is best if you are dealing with 3D or creating videos regularly.
Now it may seem mundane but storage space is the backbone of any machine. When it comes to storage, it affects how fast your system loads, saves and opens files. We recommend getting a laptop with solid state drivers and slower spinning hard disk drives. In order to enjoy both of these benefits you can install the OS on the fast SSD and store the huge files on HDD.
You will find that for the 13-inch laptops have one slot of storage, for the 15-inch laptops they offer more than one option which means you can choose both SSD and HDD. In addition to the drives there is the RAM to think about, this memory is used to store temporary work. In this regard choose a laptop with 8GB RAM or 16GB.
Screen size and resolution
As a creative artist most of your time will be spent on screen and that is why screen size is important, it will affect your productivity. Choose a resolution of 1920 by 1080 pixel will provide you ample working space while still keeping your menus and control pallets visible. As for screen size a larger screen offers clarity especially if the resolution is high enough.
Now you can get screens that offer even higher resolution than 1080P but make sure the software supports the interface. If you don’t do the respective research you might just install software formats such as adobe CSS and CS6 menu buttons can be frustratingly tiny.
Depending on the creative aspect a graphic card shouldn’t cost you an arm or a leg. For 2D work you can save money by not investing in a high end graphic card. If you are working on high end graphics you need a high end graphic card, this way you can have a highly detailed or textured 3D work.
For the high end graphic card it doesn’t lag behind and it can handle highly textured 3D scenes and move around with no lag.
… And Here Are The Best Laptop For Artists That We’ve Found
The surface pro works perfectly with the surface pen, surface dial and runs full on windows giving you access to 3D creations. Virtual drawing is even better with the surface pro, with next generation creative tools makes it the best laptop for drawing.
One of the best laptops for artists, the Mac Book pro takes it to another level giving you faster than ever cutting edge graphics. It’s high performing processors and smart storage is just a tip of its power in pro level processing jobs.
Its portable and easy to use screen gives you the freedom to travel with it, but more important is the battery life of up to 8 hours. The pearl black color of the Lenovo gives it a unique and sleek design.
Its sleek 360 design allows you to carry it around and transform it to fit your current business needs. The high battery life will keep it going for the better of your day without giving you any downtime.
For artistic drawing this is the best as you can use the surface pen using the right pressure and create fantastic images. High storage is always a good sign for artist laptop recommendations and the surface pro is not left behind with up to 512GB SSD storage and 16GB RAM.
Best Laptop For Artists Review in 2019
The new Microsoft surface pro is arguably the most versatile laptop ever.
The authentic design of the Microsoft surface Pro embodies the different specifications discussed above. Its low weight makes it a perfect travel laptop with advanced user interface for creative artist. The flexibility of this model from laptop mode, studio mode and tablet mode gives you pure control of your creative space.
You have access to the new surface arc mouse and surface pen for the real time writing with a new tilt of artistic shading.
More importantly is the exceptional power and performance of the surface pro as it delivers more speed and performance due to the advanced Intel core processor.
If anything the portable nature and powerful state of the surface pro makes it a great investment for creative artists. Buyers of the Microsoft surface pro praised its performance and key features and it comes highly recommended as one of the best laptops for drawing.
- Has the latest Pro features 7th generation Intel core i5 processor, with 256GB of storage and 8GB RAM with up to 13.5 hours of video playback
- 68% longer battery life keeping you powered on the go all day
- An improved audio system with front facing speakers with a quiet fanless cooling system
- Full PC performance in a thin and light design
- Iris Plus GPU gives it the graphics oomph of a discrete GPU
- Real replacement for notebook and tablet
- MicroSD card slot allows storage expansion
- Hugely improved battery life
- Kickstand folds back, almost flat
- Great Surface pen
- New keyboard (sold separately) makes for best typing experience yet
- Limited ports with no USB Type-C
- Microsoft needs to sell a bundle
- Only Core i7 can challenge A10X
- Pen is no longer included, now costs $99 extra
- LTE option should be standard (instead of coming later this year)
- Too pricey for the top-spec models
Apple MacBook pro is the editor’s choice with an exemplary design that is easy to carry and touches on all features. Its razor thin, feather light design should not fool you it’s a very powerful machine. Here are a few features in the apple MacBook pro
If you are in creating 3D models and encoding videos then this is your preferred choice. The intense speed of the apple MacBook pro is the solid state drives that not only make it fast but also power efficient. With this machine you can easily launch multiple apps or import files without affecting the speed.
To top the list the MacBook has a touch bar and touch ID, giving you access to function keys and is more versatile and capable. When you work it automatically changes showing you relevant tools to use.
Apart from the intensity that comes with Mac, battery life is up to 10 hours. The Mac OS is one of a kind and takes full advantage of the hardware as well as design giving it a beautiful look. We highly recommend the Macbook for any artist whether you are a designer or into drawing
- 2.8GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor with Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz
- 16GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory
- 256GB SSD storage
- Radeon Pro 555 with 2GB memory
- Touch Bar and Touch ID
- Attractive and well-built
- Thinner and lighter
- Retina screen is brighter and more colorful than ever
- Impressive audio quality
- Fast performance, especially the disk speeds
- Touch ID is a useful addition
- Spacious trackpad
- Expensive with the Touch Bar
- Easy to accidentally hit the Touch Bar instead of the Delete key
- No memory card slot
- The only ports are USB-C ports
- Rated battery life is shorter this year
- No more MagSafe
Lenovo brand of laptops has grown in leaps and bounds providing high quality alternative laptops in the market. As for artist the Lenovo Yoga is ideal as it supports different types of software for 3D as well as 2D functions. Its dual processor allows for fast loading of pages as well as allows easy video editing.
At a pocket friendly price the Lenovo multi touch screen gives you control with a simple touch, tap, and glide. The flexibility of the laptop makes it user friendly and with a 16GB DDR4 system you can use it for intense multi tasking and gaming.
As a laptop for artists you can expect high quality images with the inbuilt 2GB DDR3L which is mostly dedicated to video memory. In addition it has built in media reader for simple photo transfers and supports SD, Multimedia Card and other memory formats.
- Sharp, vivid display
- Strong productivity and graphics performance
- Good battery life
- Great maintenance/upgrade options
- Pleasing speakers
- A bit heavier than other 2-in-1s
- Bulky and heavy in tablet mode
- External monitor requires adapter
- CPU throttles under load
Lenovo continues to disrupt the market with the ever evolving market demands. The Lenovo flex 4 is a 2 in 1 laptop/tablet meaning you can do a 360 and use it in different ways. As for whether it’s the best laptop for drawing the AMD graphics and plenty of storage will sell you on that one.
Lenovo have done a pretty good job with their laptops, making them high end and providing quality performance. It is highly recommended by users and buyers for its all rounded performance and quality output.
- Built in Intel core i7-7500U processor and windows 10 for high performance
- All in one laptop/tablet switching effortlessly
- High storage for small sized laptop up to 256GB
- Full HD display stunning resolution of (1920 by 1080)
- Touch keypad for optimum efficiency
- Aesthetically pleasing
- Backlit keyboard
- Large touch screen that is easy to use
- No access to hard drive or memory for future upgrades
- Right shift key problems
- Poor space bar reaction
- Not enough usb ports
The Microsoft surface book is a 2 in 1 notebook with a dual core intel i7 6600U processor. In case that was too intense it means it is befitting and can be termed the best laptop for artists. Its versatile laptop/tablet design gives you an easy working space.
Artists are creatively placed and can easily derive inspiration from anywhere the 5MP front and 8MP webcams makes it easy to capture new images. Best part is that you can expand its capabilities by connecting printers, monitors and other devices.
- 2.6GHz Intel Core i7 (Up to 3.4GHz), 512GB SSD Storage, 16GB RAM
- 13.5-Inch Detachable Pixel Sense Touch screen Display
- Works with Pen and Touch
- Enhanced Graphics with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 965M (2GB GDDR5 VRAM)
- 5MP Front and 8MP Rear Webcams
- Windows 10 Pro Anniversary- Featuring Windows Ink
- Quality in performance and workmanship
- Super fast, awesome graphic
- Boots up quickly
- High storage capacity
- Front and rear cameras
- Screen is remarkably fragile